Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce with Rice
It's wonderful to have time to cook a nice homemade meal.
My past week was hectic, with a major exam that left my room filled with unwashed dishes
and stacks of pizza boxes. I hope most university students can relate. Anyways,
I would like to finally share a very comforting dinner. When I was younger,
my mother would make these delicious meatballs in tomato sauce with rice.
It was one of my favorite dinners and I always asked when will be the next time my mom cooks it.
*This recipe makes approx. 9 meatballs, for 3-4 Servings
1. 500g Ground Beef/Pork Mix (less than 30% fat)
2. 200g White Long Grain Rice
3. 1 Can Whole Tomatoes
4. 100ml 12% Sour Cream
5. 1 Egg
6. 1 Onion
7. 1/2 Head of Garlic
12. Dried Parsley
14. Cayenne Pepper
15. Dried Mustard
16. Dried Garlic
17. Bread Crumbs
18. Plain White Flour
19. 1 Bay Leaf
20. ~400ml Water
21. Vegetable Oil
Instructions-1. Place meat in mixing bowl and break it up with a spoon/fork.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper each and add 3/4 teaspoon of each dried herb.
3. Add about 5 tablespoons of bread crumbs. Mix meat well with hands.
4. Add 1 egg and mix once again with hands until all ingredients combine.
5. Divide meat into about 8 equal parts.
6. Take one section of divided meat and form meatballs with hands. Repeat until all meatballs are made.
7. Place finished meatballs on surface covered with some white flour. Cover each meatball evenly with flour.
8. Preheat skillet with a thick layer of vegetable oil.
9. Place one meatball at a time, gently, on hot oil. Lower heat to medium and sear meatballs on all sides.
10. In the meantime, add 1 can of whole tomatoes into large sauce pot. Cook and stir on low heat.
11. When meatballs are finished, set aside. Finely chop 1 large onion and add to the same hot pan. Add salt.
12. Cook onions on low-medium heat, stirring frequently. When almost ready, add smashed and diced garlic.
13. Transfer cooked onion and garlic to the tomato sauce. Stir and simmer for about ten minutes.
14. Remove from heat and blend tomato sauce to form thick consistency, you may add some water here.
15. Simmer tomato sauce once again, stirring occasionally. Add seared meatballs.
16. Add enough water until meatballs are almost fully covered.
17. Add a pinch of oregano, basil, dried garlic, and dried parsley to the sauce. Also add 1 bay leaf.
18. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, cook rice.
19. When rice is cooked, the sauce should be perfect. Remove from heat and wait about five minutes.
20. Add about 100ml of sour cream and mix quickly. Check flavor, add salt and pepper to taste.
21. Fluff rice and shape with help of a small round container. Serve with meatball sauce. Add parsley.